Many of you have asked if there are required measurements for the quilts so here they are:
- The Children's Home boy's cottage, prefers quilts approximately 60"x60".
- Astor Home prefers quilts approximately 50” X 80”.
- The veterans like a lap quilt approximately 60” square.
- The quilts donated to young children measure 36”, 40”, 42” up to 48” square. Baby/toddler quilts are meant to be “cuddle” quilts and should be no larger than a crib size quilt.
Community Quilts continues to work on wheelchair quilts for the nursing home residents at the VA hospital. We are looking for quilts in patriotic colors, 36" x 42". The easiest way to make them is with 6" (finished) blocks in a pattern of your choice, in a 6 x 7 layout, with the bottom corners cut diagonally (if possible). Thank you to Mary Nisley for sending me a link for binding quilts with odd angles: https://jacquelynnesteves.com/binding-odd-angles-tutorial/ .
We also continue to work on quilts for children at the Poughkeepsie Children's Home, approximately 50 - 60 inches square or rectangle.
Community Quilts will meet on Thursday, January 18, at 9:30 AM at the First Presbyterian Church on Rt. 44 in Pleasant Valley. Please bring a project to work on. We do have a few finished quilts that need to be labelled, label supplies will be provided.
- January 18 – Pleasant Valley Presbyterian Church
- February 15 – Pleasant Valley Presbyterian Church
- March 15 – Pleasant Valley Presbyterian Church
- April 19 – Liz’s barn
- May 17 – Liz’s barn
- June 21 – Liz’s barn
We meet from 10:00 – 2:00. Bring your lunch and be prepared to share some laughs as we work together. If you have any questions please contact Holly Harvey (contact info is in your directory.)
Recipient organizations include:
Astor Home for Children
Poughkeepsie Children's Home
Center for Prevention of Child Abuse
Hyde Park Homeless Shelter
Veterans' Administration at Castle Point Hospital